Lighthouse Immigrant Advocates recognizes the need to educate the next generation of legal professions and equip them with skills and opportunities to experience the realities of serving immigrants and refugees. For these reasons, LIA offers an internship program during the Fall, Spring, and Summer to students interested in building experience in the areas of legal services, community outreach and advocacy, and nonprofit development. Click below to complete an application for an internship at Lighthouse Immigrant Advocates.
- Applications due November 1st.
- Interviews November through mid-December.
- Internship offers finalized by January 1st.
- Applications due March 1st.
- Interviews March through mid-April.
- Internship offers finalized by May 1st.
- Applications due July 1st.
- Interviews July through mid-August.
- Internship offers finalized by September 1st.
- Preference will first be given to college students and law students. Internship opportunities for high school students are negotiated on a case-by-case basis.
- Ideal internship candidates are bilingual in English and Spanish, have strong writing and research skills, and work well with minimal supervision.
- Fall and Spring interns are expected to commit to a minimum of 8 hours a week. Summer interns must commit to 10 hours a week, but up to 20 hours is allowed to gain the most from the experience.
- Interns can choose to focus on legal services or fund development.
- Interns MUST provide their own transportation.
- Remote or hybrid model internships are available as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Interns that express interest in continuing beyond their first semester will be considered and may be asked to reapply.
Meet our Spring 2021 interns!
Madison Smith – Fund Development Intern
Hi, my name is Madison Smith. I am currently a junior at Hope College double majoring in business and political science. After graduation, I am planning to attend law school and pursues a career in law. I am so excited for the opportunity to grow and foster my skill set at LIA, along with gaining valuable experience!