Empowering our community to take action for immigrants and refugees in West Michigan.
This September and October, we are focused on empowering our community to take action for immigrants and refugees in West Michigan.
Our goal is to build an additional $30,000 of financial resources for immigrants and refugees, funding high-quality legal services that can help 12 individuals get permanent residency in our community.
We believe the best way to learn and reflect on the complexities of immigration is through reading and learning the stories and experiences of others. And we believe that the best companion to learning and reflection is action to help.
Join us as we highlight the success and resiliency stories of individuals and families impacted by LIA.
Interested in sponsoring this event? Click below to view sponsorship opportunities!
Tune in to VAN 92.7 radio station or follow us on social media from September 15 through September 22. We will be sharing videos from volunteers, clients, staff, family members, and friends!
1. Text LIA to 44321 (tap here on mobile) and make a donation between September 15 and September 22 to help us achieve our goal. Our goal is to build an additional $30,000 of financial resources for immigrants and refugees, funding high-quality legal services that can help 12 individuals get permanent residency in our community. Donate Online Here.
2. Share your story, building belonging and welcoming in our community – because storytelling belongs to everyone. Share a short, 90-second video to everyone in your Facebook/Instagram audience, tag Lighthouse Immigrant Advocates, and use the hashtags #WHATSYOURSTORY #STRENGTHINSTORIES.
3. Stop by our office on September 22 during our live radio promo from 10 am – 12 pm to meet the LIA team, get signed up for a library card, and grab a free paleta, all from the comfort and safety of your vehicle.
How to join the conversation:
- Explore and share the full Strength in Stories resource list linked above.
- Attend the book discussion on the graphic novel “When Stars Are Scattered” by Victoria Jamieson & Omar Mohamed from 7-9pm on Thursday, October 14th (best for kids ages 8-14).
- Participate in the Postcard Book Club to share your thoughts on “When Stars Are Scattered.” Pick up materials at Herrick District Library (designed for kids ages 8-14).
- Receive a gift bag by showing up for a after-school conversation on “When Stars Are Scattered” (best for kids ages 8-14).
- Join the book discussion on “A Hope More Powerful Than the Sea” by Melissa Fleming form 7-9pm on Thursday October 21st (best for teens and adults).
Strength in Stories Partners
A Special Thank You to Our Sponsors!